Friends of Israel
Bologna guideBologna · City tours, museums and history

Bologna city tours, museums and history

Bologna is easiest to understand on foot. Six themed walks connect the civic heart, medieval towers, porticoes, hidden canals and musical institutions, while the city's museums fill in the archaeology, art, science and memory behind the streets.

Use Piazza Maggiore as the central reference point, then choose a route by interest. The historic core is compact, but the portico to San Luca, the Certosa and the industrial water routes reach beyond the old centre. Addresses and map squares below follow the city map references used for the museum catalogue; opening hours and admissions are the listed figures and should be checked before a visit.

The six walks at a glance
TourMain focusRoute shape and map references
Piazza MaggioreCivic square, palaces, Neptune, San Petronio and the PavaglioneHistoric centre map; highlights 1-6, starting in Piazza Maggiore
Classic TourArchaeology, the university, major churches and Renaissance familiesHighlights 1-8; a full day from Piazza Maggiore
Towers TourThe medieval skyline and the surviving tower housesHighlights 1-14; a compact 1.5 km variant takes about 1 hour 30 minutes
Porticos TourPavaglione, Santa Maria dei Servi, wooden porticos and San LucaThe full network totals 53 km; the practical city walk is about 5.6 km and 2 hours 30 minutes
Water TourAposa Creek, Moline Canal, the old port and industrial heritageHighlights 1-13; includes the underground route and the canal map
Musical TourTheatre, Rossini, Mozart, Padre Martini, Respighi and contemporary musicHighlights 1-8, with extensions to Budrio and Pieve di Cento

A historical frame

Bologna grew where the lower hills meet the plain, between the Aposa and Ravone waterways. Its position between northern and southern Italy, and between Europe and the Mediterranean, made it a meeting point for peoples, trades and ideas. The university, the canals and the tower-filled medieval city each left a different layer that can still be read in the streets.

Bologna in dates
PeriodWhat happenedWhat to look for today
Bronze Age to 10th century BCEarly settlements occupied the plain and lower hills. Villanovan communities appeared between the 9th and 10th centuries BC, with an important Iron Age site at Villanova di Castenaso.The archaeological collections and the wider plain around Bologna
6th to 2nd century BCEtruscan influence made Felsina, also called Velzna, a major centre. Boii Gauls later occupied the area until Roman expansion reached it in 196 BC.The Etruscan and Villanovan rooms of the Civic Archaeological Museum
189 BC to late antiquityThe Romans founded Bononia as a colony with Latin law and its own administration. After the empire fell in 476, Goths, Byzantines and Longobards ruled the city.Roman remains, funerary stones and the road pattern around the centre
774Charlemagne defeated the Longobards, and Bologna was handed to Pope Adrian I.The layered walls and gates shown on the canals and city walls map
1088The Alma Mater Studiorum was founded. Its teaching community accelerated the city's economic and cultural growth and gave Bologna an international character.Archiginnasio, the university quarter and the university museums
1176 and 1249The Lombard League defeated Emperor Frederick Barbarossa. In 1249 Bologna captured King Enzo, son of Frederick II, who remained a privileged prisoner in the palace that bears his name until 1272.Palazzo Re Enzo and the civic spaces around Piazza Maggiore
13th to 15th centuriesGuelph and Ghibelline conflicts were followed by the rule of the Pepoli and Bentivoglio families. Bologna became one of Europe's largest cities, with roughly 60,000 residents by the end of the 13th century.Tower houses, Palazzo Pepoli, the Bentivoglio chapels and the medieval museums
Textile expansionSilk production and a sophisticated canal system powered mills, moved goods and supported the city's prosperity. The same hydraulic network later became hidden beneath the streets.Moline Canal, the old port, the Industrial Heritage Museum and Via Piella
1506 to 1860Pope Julius II took Bologna into the Papal State. Napoleonic rule interrupted that period from 1796 to 1815; in 1860 the city entered the Kingdom of Sardinia and then the Kingdom of Italy.Palazzo d'Accursio, the Risorgimento Museum and civic monuments
Second World WarBologna's railway junction made it a strategic target. Allied bombing damaged the city, which stood behind the German Gothic Line in 1944.The Resistance Museum, Ustica Memorial and the restored Anatomical Theatre

The medieval free commune and its arts

From the middle of the 11th century to the beginning of the 15th, Bologna gained the university in 1088, communal privileges in 1116, the right to mint the bolognino in 1191, and powerful guilds of artisans, notaries and jurists. This was the period in which Piazza Maggiore, the porticoes and the towers took their defining shape. Silk, law and commerce made the city wealthy, while poets and scholars such as Irnerio, Guido Guinizelli and Dante were drawn to its intellectual life.

The later medieval and Renaissance story is equally visible in the museums. The Pepoli family transformed its palace over centuries; the Bentivoglio family commissioned chapels, palaces and works by the leading painters of Bologna; and the Carracci reform of painting in the 1580s made the city one of Italy's most important artistic centres. The walks below connect those political and artistic stories rather than treating monuments as isolated sights.

The Piazza Maggiore tour

Piazza Maggiore is Bologna's civic centre and the natural starting point for a historical walk. The Roman axis now expressed by Via Rizzoli and Via Ugo Bassi leads through the old walled city, while the square gathers religious, political and commercial power into one architectural scene. The pedestrian route is short, but the buildings reward a slow circuit from the oldest palace group to the basilica and the Pavaglione.

Piazza Maggiore route and map highlights
StopPlaceMap or route note
1Palazzo del PodestàPiazza Maggiore; square map highlight 1
2Palazzo Re Enzo and Palazzo del Capitano del PopoloUnder the Voltone del Podestà; highlight 2
3Palazzi del Comune and Piazza del NettunoPalazzo d'Accursio, the Fountain of Neptune and Salaborsa; highlight 3
4Basilica of San PetronioPiazza Maggiore; highlight 4
5Palazzo dei NotaiSouth side of Piazza Maggiore; highlight 5
6Palazzo dei Banchi and the PavaglioneThe portico continues towards the Archiginnasio; highlight 6

Palazzo del Podestà

Construction began around 1200, but the façade seen today largely comes from a 1484 rebuilding under Giovanni II Bentivoglio. A popular uprising ended Bentivoglio's rule before the redesign was finished, leaving the building without the planned eaves and merlons. Look closely at the portico supports: more than three thousand carved rosettes make each bay different. Above them, the Salone del Podestà was Bologna's great hall for justice, festivals and public events. The balcony once carried government announcements and executions to the crowd below.

Tip: Pass beneath the Voltone del Podestà and look for the Arengo Tower, which appears to rest on the four great pillars of the intersection.

Palazzo Re Enzo and the Voltone del Podestà

The palatium novum was built between 1244 and 1246 for the city government, but after King Enzo of Sardinia was captured at Fossalta in 1249 it became his luxurious prison until his death in 1272. The palace was restored by Alfonso Rubbiani between 1905 and 1913. Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo stands beside it, and a Lambertini family tower is built into the complex. The covered crossing once held a busy market, two gallows are still visible in the arcade wing facing the square, and four patron saints were placed at the intersection in 1525. A whisper against one corner pillar can be heard by someone at the opposite corner.

Tip: The story of Enzo's failed escape in a wine barrel belongs to local legend, but the palace, the captivity and his burial in San Domenico are part of Bologna's documented civic memory.

The Arengo Tower and campanazzo

The 13th-century tower rises about 47 metres above the Voltone. Its great bell, the campanazzo, was installed in 1453 and was used to summon citizens in danger or for major public events. The tower has no independent foundation and visually grows out of the palace arcade.

Palazzo d'Accursio and the civic collections

🕒 Collezioni Comunali d'Arte listed hours: 10:00-18:30 Tue-Sun🎟 Collezioni Comunali d'Arte listed admission: €5 full, €3 reduced; free with Card Musei Metropolitani and Bologna Welcome Card

The city acquired the lawyer Accursio's tower and palace in the late 13th century, and the complex became the seat of government. The clock tower rises over the former residence, which was also known as Palazzo delle Biade because part of it served as a grain store. Inside are courtyards, the Farnese Hall, the surviving Farnese Chapel, the Hercules Hall, the council rooms and the former cardinal's apartments. The latter now hold the Collezioni Comunali d'Arte, with paintings, crucifixes and furnishings from the 13th to the 19th century, including works associated with Pelagio Palagi, Artemisia Gentileschi, Donato Creti, Ludovico Carracci and Giuseppe Maria Crespi.

Official site →

The Fountain of Neptune

Piazza del Nettuno was laid out in 1564 and the fountain was completed in 1566. Tommaso Laureti designed the basin, Jean Boulogne, known as Giambologna, made the bronze Neptune and Zanobio Portigiani cast it. The statue was produced in the workshop connected with San Petronio, where the plaque also recalls Michelangelo's 1506 statue of Julius II, Giambologna's Neptune and Menganti's Gregory XIII. Red and pale stone echo Bologna's civic colours, while the fountain's water arrived through channels from two sources south of the city. The monument was practical as well as symbolic: water carriers could deliver its supply to residents for a small fee.

Tip: The trident later became the emblem of the Maserati company, founded in Bologna. The darker stone behind Neptune is the famous Pietra della Vergogna viewing point.

Basilica of San Petronio

🕒 Basilica listed hours: 7:45-18:30. Museum listed hours: 10:00-12:00 and 15:00-17:00 Tue, Thu and Fri; 10:00-13:00 Wed; 10:00-12:00 Sat; 15:00-17:00 Sun. Cappella dei Magi: 10:00-18:00. Terrace: 10:00-13:00 and 15:00-18:00 Mon-Thu; 10:00-13:00 and 14:30-18:30 Fri-Sun.🎟 Basilica and museum listed as free; Cappella dei Magi €3; terrace €3, free with Bologna Welcome Card €40

The civic government laid the foundation in 1390 and commissioned Antonio di Vincenzo to build what was intended to be the largest church in Christendom. The ambitious plan called for a Latin cross, gigantic transepts and a 150-metre dome, but the arrival of the Papal army in 1506 and the expense of the project curtailed the design. Work reached the apse in 1659; the present church is about 130 metres long, 58 metres wide and 45 metres high, with a façade still unfinished between marble below and brick above. Jacopo della Quercia's Porta Magna began in 1425. Inside, the Gothic nave has three aisles and ten main pillars, Giovanni Domenico Cassini's 1655 meridian line, chapels with work by Giovanni da Modena and Parmigianino, and the four reconstructed crosses associated with the old city boundaries. Charles V was crowned emperor here by Pope Clement VII on 24 February 1530.

Tip: The Cassini meridian is the longest indoor sundial of its kind. The church can feel much cooler than the square, so allow time for your eyes and temperature to adjust.

Official site →

Palazzo dei Notai

The Guild of Notaries first worked under the Podestà portico before moving into this 13th-century building. Antonio di Vincenzo designed its six original windows; Alfonso Rubbiani reshaped the palace in the early 20th century. The ground floor was once a salt store, and the guild emblem, three ink pots with quills on a red field, remains on the façade facing Piazza Maggiore.

Palazzo dei Banchi and the Pavaglione

Palazzo dei Banchi takes its name from the small banks and money changers' stalls that once occupied the site. The building begun in 1412 is principally a grand façade designed by Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola between 1563 and 1568 to conceal older houses. Its portico joins the covered pedestrian route from Via Rizzoli to the Pavaglione, the elegant walkway beside San Petronio that leads to the Archiginnasio and the Civic Archaeological Museum.

The Classic Tour

This is the best one-day introduction to Bologna's monuments. From Piazza Maggiore, follow the Pavaglione to the Civic Archaeological Museum and the Archiginnasio, then continue through Piazza Galvani, San Domenico, Santo Stefano, the Mercanzia, San Giacomo Maggiore, Palazzo Malvezzi de' Medici and San Francesco. The route finishes with the tombs of the glossators and, if time permits, the Certosa.

Classic Tour highlights
StopPlaceWhat it adds to the route
1Civic Archaeological MuseumVillanovan, Etruscan, Greek, Roman and Egyptian collections
2ArchiginnasioThe university palace, student heraldry, Anatomical Theatre and Stabat Mater Hall
3Basilica of San DomenicoThe founder's tomb, Niccolò dell'Arca, Michelangelo and the choir
4Basilica of Santo StefanoThe surviving four churches of the Sette Chiese complex
5Palazzo della MercanziaGothic commerce, guild courts and the Chamber of Commerce
6Basilica of San Giacomo MaggioreBentivoglio Chapel, Francia, Costa and the Renaissance portico
7Palazzo Malvezzi de' MediciA Renaissance and Baroque aristocratic palace now used by the Province
8Basilica of San Francesco and the glossatorsFrench Gothic architecture and the tombs of the great law teachers

Civic Archaeological Museum

🕒 Listed hours: 9:00-18:00 Wed-Mon; 10:00-18:30 Sat and Sun🎟 Listed admission: €6 full, €3 reduced; free with Card Musei Metropolitani and Bologna Welcome Card

The museum has occupied Palazzo Galvani, the former Ospedale della Morte, since 1881. Its holdings move from local prehistory and the Villanovan period through Etruscan, Greek and Roman archaeology, with a major Egyptian collection. Highlights include the Roman lapidary, Etruscan and Villanovan tomb goods, the Great Tomb from the Giardini Margherita, Fidia's Lemnia Athena and the Egyptian material. The museum also preserves the Patera Cospiana, the signed black-figure vase by Nikosthenes, the Situla della Certosa and the rich equipment of the Tomba dello Sgabello.

Official site →

The Archiginnasio

🕒 Courtyard and quadriloggiato listed hours: 9:00-19:00 Mon-Sat, 10:00-14:00 Sun. Anatomical Theatre and Stabat Mater Hall: 10:00-18:00 Mon-Fri, 10:00-19:00 Sat, 10:00-14:00 Sun.🎟 Anatomical Theatre and Stabat Mater Hall listed admission: €3; free with Card Musei Metropolitani

Antonio Morandi, known as Terribilia, completed this university palace in 1562-1563at the request of Pope Pius IV. Its long portico and central courtyard brought Bologna's law and arts schools together under one roof. The Studium remained here until 1803. More than six thousand painted shields and student inscriptions cover the walls, while the library preserves a vast collection for study. The Anatomical Theatre, built in 1637, was reconstructed after wartime bombing; Ercole Lelli's Spellati stand beside the reader's chair. The Stabat Mater Hall recalls the first Bolognese performance of Rossini's Stabat Mater in 1842, conducted by Donizetti.

Tip: The Pavaglione is not only a route to the museum: its marble pavement, arcades and view towards San Petronio are part of the experience.

Official site →

Basilica and Museum of San Domenico

🕒 Basilica listed hours: approximately 7:00-20:00 Mon-Fri, 7:00-19:30 Sat, 8:00-19:00 Sun. Guided visits are arranged separately.🎟 Basilica listed as free; guided convent visits by arrangement

The Dominican complex began in the early 13th century after Domenico settled in Bologna. The church was enlarged from 1234 and consecrated in 1251. Niccolò dell'Arca began the marble crown for the founder's tomb in 1469, and a young Michelangelo carved San Petronio and San Procolo for it. The museum occupies rooms between the sacristy and choir and gathers paintings and sculptures once scattered through the church and convent, including a 17th-century Moses in the Desert attributed to Mastelletta and a terracotta Piety by Baccio da Montelupo.

Tip: The later choir, the Rosary Chapel and the Arca of San Domenico reward a second, slower look. For a guided visit, the listed contact is [email protected].

Basilica of Santo Stefano

🕒 Complex listed hours: 9:15-18:00 in winter and 9:15-19:15 in summer. Museum listed hours: 9:00-19:00 in winter and 9:00-12:30 plus 15:00-19:00 in summer.🎟 Listed as free

The Piazza Santo Stefano complex is traditionally called the Sette Chiese, although four churches survive. Its origins are associated with Bishop Petronio in the 5th century and with a possible earlier sanctuary to Isis. The surviving group includes the Church of the Crucifix, the octagonal Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre, the Basilica of Saints Vitale and Agricola and the Church of the Trinity. The complex contains the tomb of San Petronio, the 5th-century sarcophagi of the two martyrs, Pilate's Courtyard, a medieval Benedictine cloister and a small museum of sacred art.

Tip: Look for the column in the crypt associated by legend with Christ's height, the black column of the Holy Sepulchre and the carved details in Pilate's Courtyard.

Palazzo della Mercanzia

Built between 1384 and 1391 on the site of the old customs house, this brick Gothic palace was designed by Antonio di Vincenzo and decorated by Giovanni and Pietro dalle Masegne. Merchants and guilds settled disputes here before elected judges, with a second level of appeal. The Chamber of Commerce has occupied the building since the Napoleonic decree of 27 June 1811. The atrium and Council Hall preserve the building's commercial and judicial character.

Tip: The palace is also linked to Bologna's registered recipes. The official gold tagliatelle model is 8 mm wide when cooked, a tiny fraction of the Asinelli Tower.

Basilica of San Giacomo Maggiore

🕒 The church and associated chapels have different schedules; the listed opening for the Bentivoglio Chapel is 9:30-12:30 Sat. The Oratorio di Santa Cecilia is listed at 10:00-13:00 and 14:00-18:00 October-May, 10:00-13:00 and 15:00-19:00 June-September.🎟 Church listed as free

The Augustinian church was built between 1267 and 1315 and consecrated in 1344. Its bell tower dates to 1471, while the portico and the interior carry the marks of the Renaissance and later remodelling. The Bentivoglio Chapel, commissioned by Annibale Bentivoglio in 1445, contains work by Lorenzo Costa and Francesco Francia, including the 1494 Madonna enthroned with Child and Saints. The adjacent Oratorio di Santa Cecilia is known for the fresco cycle commissioned by Giovanni II Bentivoglio, with scenes by Francia, Costa and Amico Aspertini.

Tip: The annual Santa Rita celebration is held on 22 May; tradition says the rose received then should be kept for good luck.

Palazzo Malvezzi de' Medici

The Malvezzi family, established in Bologna by the 12th century, commissioned this palace from Bartolomeo Triachini in 1560. Its shaded portico gave it the nickname palazzo dal portico buio. The monumental staircase was designed by Francesco Bibiena and built by Alfonso Torreggiani in 1725. Later 19th-century decoration survives in the reception rooms, which the Province of Bologna acquired in 1931.

Basilica of San Francesco and the tombs of the glossators

Franciscans reached Bologna in 1221 and Francis preached in the city in 1222. Their French Gothic basilica was completed in 1254 and contains a marble altar by Jacobello and Pier Paolo dalle Masegne. The garden outside holds the restored tombs of the legal scholars Accursio, Odofredo and Rolandino dei Romanzi. Accursio's 13th-century Glossa ordinaria gathered and commented on the work of generations of jurists and became a major foundation for the study of Roman law.

Tip: Piazza Malpighi, behind the basilica, is the clearest place to compare the three surviving glossator tombs: Rolandino's has four lions, Accursio's is the more severe pyramidal monument, and Odofredo's has two rows of columns.

The Certosa of Bologna

🕒 Listed hours: 7:00-18:00 from 1 March to 2 November; 8:00-17:00 from 3 November to 28 February🎟 Listed as free

The Certosa combines an Etruscan necropolis, a Carthusian monastery founded in the 14th century and the modern cemetery opened in 1801. Its communicating chapels, cloisters and porticos form an open-air museum of Neoclassical, realist and 20th-century sculpture. San Girolamo preserves a rich Baroque cycle by artists including Pasinelli, Gessi, Cesi, the Sirani and Amico Aspertini. The cemetery became a celebrated stop for Grand Tour travellers, and its burials include Giosuè Carducci, Giorgio Morandi, Ottorino Respighi and members of the Maserati and Ducati families.

Tip: Ask for the monument map at the entrance. The listed address is Via della Certosa 18, with the main route reached from the San Luca portico.

Official site →

The Towers Tour

Bologna once had more than one hundred towers, built mainly in the 12th and 13th centuries by wealthy families who needed defensive lookouts and visible statements of power. Fewer than twenty medieval towers survive in the older city core, alongside towers, belltowers and torresotti recorded by the city's maps. The practical walking variant begins at Piazzetta Prendiparte and ends at Corte de' Galluzzi, about 1.5 km and 1 hour 30 minutes; the longer historical circuit below begins in Piazza Maggiore and follows all fourteen highlights.

Towers Tour highlights
No.Tower or tower-houseRoute note
1Agresti TowerFrom Piazza Maggiore, via IV Novembre and Piazza Galileo Galilei
2Lapi TowerBuilt into Palazzo d'Accursio
3Galluzzi TowerCorte Galluzzi, after Piazza dei Celestini
4Carrari TowerVia Marchesana, in the faux-medieval block
5Alberici TowerVia Santo Stefano, beside the Case Serracchioli
6The Two Towers: Asinelli and GarisendaPiazza di Porta Ravegnana
7Uguzzoni TowerVicolo Tubertini, in the former Jewish Ghetto
8Guidozagni Tower-HouseVia degli Albiroli
9Prendiparte TowerVia Sant'Alò; also called the Coronata
10Azzoguidi TowerVia Altabella
11San Pietro BelltowerVisible from Via Altabella
12Lambertini TowerIn Palazzo Re Enzo
13Arengo TowerUnder the Voltone del Podestà
14Orologio or Clock TowerAt Piazza Maggiore and Via IV Novembre

How the medieval towers were built

The towers had square foundations often sunk at least five metres. Builders used heavy selenite blocks below and lighter materials above, with a sacco construction: a thick inner brick wall, a thinner outer wall and a rubble-and-mortar core between them. Scaffolding holes and selenite sockets remain visible on some façades. A tower about 60 metres high could take three to ten years, explaining why several families sometimes shared the cost. Towers were homes, lookouts, fortresses and symbols during the conflicts between Guelf and Ghibelline factions.

Agresti and Lapi Towers

The 13th-century Agresti Tower is about 20 metres high and has belonged to the Collegio di Spagna since the end of the 14th century. A major fire in 1641 led to a shorter reconstruction for stability. Nearby, the Lapi Tower dates from 1359, belongs to the city and is built into Palazzo d'Accursio; it was once used as a gunpowder store.

Galluzzi Tower and the family tragedy

Built in 1257, the Galluzzi Tower now rises about 30 metres, although its entrance was originally roughly ten metres above ground and reached by temporary wooden bridges. It is a consortium tower, or turris maior, built by a group of wealthy families linked by clan ties; its walls can be more than three metres thick. Local tradition remembers Virginia Galluzzi and Alberto Carbonesi as Bologna's tragic pair of rival-family lovers: after Alberto's death, Virginia was found hanging from the tower in 1258 and the feud claimed many more lives.

Carrari and Alberici Towers

The Carrari Tower is about 22 metres high and dates to the 14th century. It is the only authentic medieval structure in a 1930s faux-medieval block and is now a private residence. The Alberici Tower stands beside the 13th-century Case Serracchioli on Via Santo Stefano. Its base has held a shop since 1273, making the commercial life of the medieval street visible in the tower itself.

The Two Towers

🕒 Listed Asinelli access: 9:30-19:30 from 1 March to 5 November, with a climb every 45 minutes; 9:30-17:45 from 6 November to 28 February🎟 Listed admission: €5 full, €3 reduced; free with Bologna Welcome Card €40

Asinelli and Garisenda are Bologna's defining medieval pair. Their traditional construction date is between 1109 and 1119, although the surviving evidence does not settle the attribution completely. The Asinelli became city property in the late 14th century and rises about 97 metres through 498 steps. It has served as a lookout, prison and place of execution, and scientists Riccioli and Guglielmini used it for experiments on gravity and the earth's rotation. Volunteers watched from its summit during the bombing raids of 1943-1945.Garisenda is famous from Dante for its pronounced lean, about 3.25 metres towards east-southeast; the tower was shortened by roughly 20 metres in the 14th century and later belonged to the Drapers' Guild before passing to the city. The exterior was restored in 1998-2000.

Tip: The Asinelli stair is narrow, steep and wooden. Garisenda is not climbable. The listed address is Piazza di Porta Ravegnana and the official booking site is [Due Torri Bologna](https://www.duetorribologna.com/).

Official site →

Uguzzoni Tower and the former Jewish Ghetto

The 13th-century Uguzzoni Tower stands among the narrow lanes of the former Ghetto. Unlike many earlier towers, it has an ogival doorway close to street level and two passageways running along its sides, one with a terracotta window in a 15th-century style. Some of the selenite blocks at its base appear to be original. The ghetto itself was created in 1556, closed at night through several gates and permanently cleared of its Jewish population by Clement VIII in 1593; the Jewish Museum now tells the longer history of Jewish life in Bologna and Emilia-Romagna.

Guidozagni, Prendiparte and Azzoguidi Towers

The original Guidozagni structure collapsed in 1487 and was rebuilt as a tower-house, a reminder of the feudal rivalries that shaped the city. Prendiparte, called the Coronata because of its four spires on each side, was built beside the Archbishop's Palace in the second half of the 12th century and reaches 58.60 metres. Its walls narrow from 2.80 metres at the base to 1.35 metres above; it later served as an Ecclesiastical Court jail, and prisoners' graffiti survive inside. Azzoguidi was measured at 54.80 metres in 1983, shorter than earlier estimates of 60-61 metres, and its base contains a shop cut into the selenite.

Tip: The Prendiparte belongs to a private owner and can be visited through arranged tower tours. The Azzoguidi tower is also known as Torre Altabella in later walking itineraries.

San Pietro Belltower, Lambertini and the final towers

The belltower of San Pietro was raised around a pre-existing Byzantine cylindrical tower. The Lambertini Tower, also called the Tower of the People's Captain, is built into Palazzo Re Enzo and was known as the Tower of Women because it served as a women's jail. The Arengo Tower rises 47 metres above the Voltone and received its 4,700-kilogram campanazzo in 1453, installed by Aristotele Fioravanti. Back at Piazza Maggiore, the Clock Tower occupies the junction with Via IV Novembre; its clock was installed in the 15th century after the tower was raised.

The Porticos Tour

Bologna's porticoes turn movement through the city into an architectural experience. The full network reaches 53 kilometres when the stretches outside the walls are included, with more than 38 kilometres through the centre. The familiar story begins when upper floors were projected over the pavement and supported by wooden beams on stone or selenite blocks. The city first treated these additions as abuses, then regulated them and made the ground-level passage public even when the building above was private. The result is a continuous civic shelter where shops, churches, museums and homes meet.

A practical portico itinerary
Route detailListed informationWhat to notice
Full network38 km through the centre; 53 km including the stretches outside the wallsThe city can often be crossed without an umbrella
Walking variantStart Strada Maggiore 43; finish Via Saragozza 235; about 5.6 km and 2 hours 30 minutesSanta Maria dei Servi, Casa Isolani, San Giacomo, Archiginnasio, Via Altabella and San Luca
Long San Luca stretchAbout 3,796-3,800 metres and 666 archesFrom the Meloncello Arch to the sanctuary on the Colle della Guardia
Alemanni extension167 arches and about 650 metres, built 1619-1631The oldest extramural portico, linking Porta Maggiore with Santa Maria Lacrimosa degli Alemanni

Portico del Pavaglione and Archiginnasio

The Pavaglione is one of Bologna's most elegant covered walks. Its name is associated with the pavilion that once hosted a silkworm cocoon market. The Civic Archaeological Museum and the Archiginnasio stand beneath it, and the Archiginnasio's 1563 portico is paved in marble with fossil shells. The covered route makes the university palace, San Petronio and Piazza Galvani feel like one continuous civic room.

Santa Maria dei Servi and Casa Isolani

The Basilica of Santa Maria dei Servi was built from 1346 to 1386, with later work continuing through the 19th century. The four-sided portico includes the arches added towards Porta Maggiore in 1492 and the façade stretch built in 1515. Inside is Cimabue's Maestà. Nearby Casa Isolani preserves one of the city's rare wooden porticoes, with high oak beams dating from the 13th century. The Basilica of San Giacomo later adds an elegant Renaissance portico of fluted sandstone columns.

Wooden porticos and the evolution of the streets

Palazzo Grassi on Via Marsala has one of Bologna's oldest surviving wooden porticoes, with Romanesque-Gothic forms, timber beams and terracotta decoration. A 1568 decree ordered the replacement of wooden columns with brick or stone, backed by a fine of ten gold scudi and a three-month deadline. Standardisation continued into 1800, but a few wooden examples survived through the intervention of Count Giovanni Gozzadini. The practical walk also passes the almost ten-metre-high portico of the former Archbishop's Palace on Via Altabella, the 95-centimetre-wide portico on Via Senzanome and the old beccadelli brackets at Casa Berò.

Tip: Via Indipendenza shows how the portico remains an everyday public room: shops, cafés and Saturday promenades stay sheltered in every season.

The San Luca portico and Meloncello

🕒 San Luca sanctuary listed hours: 7:00-12:30 and 14:30-18:00 Mon-Sat, 7:00-18:00 Sun November-February; 7:00-12:30 and 14:30-19:00 Mon-Sat, 7:00-19:00 Sun March-October. The terrace is listed at €5 full and €3 reduced.🎟 Sanctuary listed as free; panoramic terrace €5 full, €3 reduced, free with Bologna Welcome Card €40

The portico from Porta Saragozza to the Sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca began in 1674 and runs for about 3,796 metres under 666 arches. The entrance gallery at Porta Saragozza dates from 1675 and the Meloncello Arch, designed by Carlo Francesco Dotti, was added in 1732. The sanctuary stands on the Colle della Guardia; Dotti gave it its present form in the 18th century around an icon of the Madonna and Child traditionally linked to the evangelist Luke. Inside are works by Donato Creti, Guido Reni, Guercino, Vittorio Bigari and Domenico Pestrini, with a silver covering attributed to Jan Jacobs of Brussels and façade decoration from 1775.

Tip: The city walking profile is about 289 metres high with a 215-metre rise, an average gradient near 10 percent and steeper sections. The terrace uses a narrow historic stair, but the view reaches across Bologna towards the Apennines.

Official site →

The Certosa portico and procession

The portico linking the San Luca route with the Certosa was built between 1811 and 1831 with funds donated by Luigi Valeriani and citizens' groups. It creates a symbolic continuity between the city of the living and the city of the dead. Each year Bologna renews the procession of the Madonna to the city, a tradition associated with the drought of 1443 and the belief that the rains ended when the image entered Bologna.

The Water Tour

Bologna was an industrial water city long before the canals disappeared beneath roads and buildings. Water supplied daily needs, drove mills, moved goods and powered the silk industry. Electricity and changing industrial patterns led to the covering of much of the network, but the Aposa Creek, Moline Canal, Navile, Cavaticcio and surviving views along Via Piella still reveal the old system.

Water Tour highlights
StopPlaceWhat to look for
1Former Jewish GhettoThe Aposa under Via Zamboni and the Jewish Museum in Palazzo Pannolini-Malvasia
2Aposa CreekThe underground riverbed, reached from a hatch in Piazza San Martino by guided visit
3San Martino in AposaA picture-gallery church beside the creek
4Moline Canal dropThe roar where water once turned grain mills
5Bend of the DrownedA picturesque bend along the open canal
6Little window on the MolineThe finestretta on Via Piella and its bridge
7Santa Maria della PioggiaThe first of the churches associated with water
8Old city port and SalaraThe Cavaticcio basin, the former salt store and Manifattura delle Arti
9Santa Maria della Visitazione at the Lame BridgeA church begun after the 1527 plague
10Santa Maria della CaritàThe third water church on the old Reno route
11Santa Maria and San Valentino della GradaThe Reno Canal entrance and its defensive grate
12Industrial Heritage MuseumSilk mills, machines, food production and the Bologna of water and silk
13Return to Piazza MaggioreVia Ugo Bassi or Via del Pratello

The Jewish Ghetto and Museum

🕒 Jewish Museum listed hours: 10:00-18:00 Sun-Thu, 10:00-16:00 Fri; last entry 45 minutes before closing🎟 Listed admission: €4 full, €2 reduced

An arch with a mask on Via Zamboni marks the former ghetto, where the Aposa flows below the street. Bologna's ghetto was created in 1556, with gates on Via Zamboni and around Via dei Giudei, Via Oberdan and Vicolo Tubertini; the Jewish population was expelled in 1593. The narrow streets, covered passages and Via dell'Inferno retain the shape of the medieval quarter. In Palazzo Pannolini at Via Valdonica 1/5, the Jewish Museum has a library and documentation centre, with a permanent section devoted to Jewish identity and two rooms on the history of Jewish communities in Bologna and Emilia-Romagna from the Middle Ages to the present.

Official site →

Aposa Creek and the underground route

A street-level hatch in Piazza San Martino hides the steps to the Aposa riverbed, which runs beneath the city towards Piazza Minghetti. The underground section can be visited with a guided tour; contact the IAT office for arrangements. Above ground, San Martino in Aposa preserves paintings by Paolo Uccello, Amico Aspertini and Girolamo da Sermoneta. The creek entered the city through the surviving grada after its course was diverted in 1070.

Tip: The route is a guided underground visit, not an unguided descent. Ask about access, meeting point and seasonal availability before setting out.

Moline Canal, the Bend of the Drowned and the finestretta

At Via delle Moline and Via Capo di Lucca, the canal drop preserves the sound and energy once used by grain mills. Via Oberdan leads to the Bend of the Drowned, then Via Bertiera and Via Piella reach Porta Govese and the small window overlooking the Moline. Additional views are available from Via Malcontenti and Via Oberdan. The old mill Leone Aposa at Capodiluca, Via Capo di Lucca 12/A, offers another view by arrangement at [email protected].

The churches on the water

Santa Maria della Pioggia recalls a 1561 drought, when a procession was held before the Madonna and rain followed. Santa Maria della Visitazione was built on the Lame Bridge after the plague of 1527, when neighbours prayed before a Madonna painted on a tabernacle. Santa Maria della Carità follows the old Reno Canal, while Santa Maria and San Valentino della Grada stands where the canal entered the city through a metal grate. The surviving grada is on Viale Enrico Panzacchi at Via Rubbiani; it could be lowered at night to stop enemies entering through the water.

The old port, Salara and Manifattura delle Arti

From the end of the 12th century an artificial canal brought Reno water into the city. The port developed in the mid-16th century around the Cavaticcio and Navile canals, carrying people and goods. The Salara, a salt store built between 1783 and 1785, is the surviving original building of the port area. Today the Manifattura delle Arti occupies the regenerated industrial district, with the Cineteca, university departments, parks and MAMbo in the former bread oven. The Cavaticcio Garden follows the old harbour basin.

MAMbo - Museum of Modern Art of Bologna

🕒 Listed hours: 10:00-18:30 Tue, Wed and Fri-Sun; 10:00-22:00 Thu🎟 Listed admission: €6 full, €4 reduced; free with Bologna Welcome Card and Card Musei Metropolitani

MAMbo opened in 2007 inside the former bread oven of the old port. Its permanent collection follows modern and contemporary art from the 1950s to today through areas such as art and ideology, 1977 art and action, Arte Povera and new acquisitions. The Sala delle Ciminiere retains the old bakery chimneys for temporary exhibitions. MAMbo also houses the Morandi Museum, whose thematic displays follow Giorgio Morandi's landscapes, still lifes, flowers, vessels, shells and prints, including his last painted still life from 1964.

Official site →

Industrial Heritage Museum

🕒 Listed hours: 9:00-13:00 Tue-Fri and 10:00-18:30 Sat-Sun from mid-September to mid-July; reservation required at other times🎟 Listed admission: €5 full, €3 reduced; free with Bologna Welcome Card and Card Musei Metropolitani

The museum occupies the former Fornace Galotti, a brick furnace built beside the Navile in 1887 and used until 1966. Its Hoffman kiln, drying rooms and industrial materials remain part of the building. The collections trace Bologna's production from the Middle Ages to today: silk, mortadella, chocolate, machinery, motorcycles, cars, consumer goods and electronics. Working models include the Bologna silk mill, the water-and-mills theatre, automatic packaging machines and a functioning scale model of the silk mill driven by a water wheel. The story explains why Bologna once had 119 mills and an internationally important silk trade.

Official site →

Thermal Bologna

The Water Tour also points towards Bologna's spa tradition. The mineral-rich water known as the Devil's Well was once blamed for killing crops; it is drawn through a nearly two-kilometre duct and used by the Circuito della Salute Più. Roman bath traces survive around Via Saragozza and Via Galliera, while more recent thermal traditions developed at Corticella and Casaglia. The wider province adds Porretta Terme, Castel San Pietro Terme and Monterenzio, each associated with different mineral waters.

Tip: The listed information site for the thermal circuit is [Mare della Salute](http://www.maredellasalute.it).

Official site →
Canals and city walls map
LayerDate or periodMap detail
Roman city gridImperial periodThe original urban pattern and the first civic axis
Selenite walls4th-6th centuriesThe early defensive circuit, with the four ancient crosses later preserved in San Petronio
Longobard addition8th centuryA fortified radial pattern responding to the Byzantine threat from Ravenna
Torresotti or second circleEnd of the 12th centuryThe surviving or partly surviving passages include Porta Nova, Via Castiglione, Strada Santo Stefano, Strada Maggiore, Via San Vitale, Via Piella and the remains of Via San Donato
Circla or last circle13th centuryThe outer city wall and the surviving stretches shown around the historic centre
Canals and AposaMedieval to modernOpen stretches, mill channels, the old port and the covered creek
  • The twelve gates recorded on the map are Porta Maggiore or Mazzini, Porta Santo Stefano, Porta Castiglione, Porta San Mamolo, Porta Saragozza, Porta San Isaia, Porta San Felice or Saffi, Porta Lame, Porta Galliera, Porta Mascarella, Porta San Donato and Porta San Vitale.
  • The four crosses traditionally associated with San Ambrogio or San Petronio stood at Porta Ravegnana, Strada Castiglione, Porta Procola and Porta Stiera. They were removed in 1798 and are preserved in San Petronio.

The Musical Tour

Bologna was designated a UNESCO Creative City of Music in 2007. Its musical history runs from Padre Martini, Rossini, Donizetti and Respighi to jazz, free radio and singer-songwriters. The city route starts at Piazza Maggiore, follows Via Rizzoli and Via Zamboni to Piazza Verdi, then loops through the Music Museum, the Philharmonic Academy, former homes and the Archiginnasio's Stabat Mater Hall.

Musical Tour highlights
StopPlaceRoute detail
1Teatro ComunalePiazza Verdi, reached along Via Rizzoli and Via Zamboni
2Ottorino Respighi's birthplaceVia Guido Reni 8, marked by a plaque
3International Music Museum and LibraryPalazzo Sanguinetti, Strada Maggiore 34, map D-5
4Rossini's houseStrada Maggiore 26, identified by its Latin inscription
5Accademia FilarmonicaVia Guerrazzi, with the Mozart and Padre Martini story
6Donizetti's Bologna homeVia de' Pepoli; he lived there from 1815 to 1817
7Stabat Mater HallArchiginnasio, the venue for the 1842 Rossini performance
8AntonianoThe institution behind Zecchino d'Oro and the Piccolo Coro

Teatro Comunale

🕒 Listed guided visits: €5; 12:00 Fri, 11:00 Sat and occasional 10:00 Sun visits🎟 Listed guided visit admission: €5

Antonio Galli Bibiena designed the theatre on the site of the Bentivoglio palace destroyed in 1507, and it opened in 1763. The theatre became Bologna's international stage for opera and symphonic music. Rossini first appeared in the city as a child and later returned as a celebrated composer; his Stabat Mater reached Bologna in 1842 and was performed in the Archiginnasio under Donizetti's direction. A fire destroyed the old stage in 1931, and the façade seen today dates from 1937. The theatre still presents opera, dance and symphonic music.

Tip: The listed address is Largo Respighi 1 and the official programme and visits are at [Teatro Comunale di Bologna](https://www.tcbo.it).

Official site →

International Music Museum and Library

🕒 Listed hours: 10:00-18:30 Tue-Sun🎟 Listed admission: €5 full, €3 reduced; free with Card Musei Metropolitani and Bologna Welcome Card

Palazzo Sanguinetti reopened after careful restoration of its 18th- and 19th-century frescoes. The exhibition covers about six centuries of European music through more than one hundred musician portraits, over eighty historic instruments and documents, treaties, books, librettos, letters, manuscripts and scores collected through the legacy of Padre Giambattista Martini. Highlights include the rare printed music book Harmonice Musices Odhecaton A from 1501, Vito Trasuntino's 1606 omnitonum harpsichord, lutes, flutes, hurdy-gurdies, serpents, horns and opera instruments, as well as Rossini's piano, dressing gown and manuscript material. The collection also includes the workshop of Bolognese lute maker Otello Bignami.

Tip: The museum's Rossini material, its portraits of composers and singers, and the correspondence around Mozart make this a place to read music history as well as look at instruments.

Official site →

Accademia Filarmonica and Mozart

The Philharmonic Academy began as a professional association for musicians from Bologna and Emilia-Romagna and grew into an international meeting place. It preserves musicians' documents, signed scores, portraits and instruments. Mozart came to Bologna in 1770 at fourteen, studied with Padre Martini, stayed at Villa Pallavicini and prepared the difficult four-voice antiphon required for academy membership. Martini's guidance was decisive, and the young composer became one of the academy's most famous members.

Rossini, Donizetti and the Stabat Mater Hall

Rossini's former home is marked by a Latin inscription on Strada Maggiore. Donizetti lived in Via de' Pepoli from 1815 to 1817 while studying with Padre Stanislao Mattei. At the Archiginnasio, the Stabat Mater Hall remembers the 1842 first Bolognese performance of Rossini's work, conducted by Donizetti. The route also passes Respighi's birthplace at Via Guido Reni 8 and the Teatro del Corso site, where the young Rossini made an early appearance before the theatre was destroyed in 1944.

Antoniano and Zecchino d'Oro

The Antoniano's cornerstone was laid in 1953. Its original social and cultural work expanded into theatre, television and record production, including the Zecchino d'Oro children's song festival, conceived in 1959 and brought to the Antoniano in 1961. The event became international in 1976. The Piccolo Coro, founded by Mariele Ventre in 1963, grew from five Bolognese children into an internationally known children's choir whose members were between three and eleven years old.

Bologna's singer-songwriters and free radio

Lucio Dalla, Francesco Guccini, Andrea Mingardi, Dino Sarti, Luca Carboni, Gianni Morandi and Cesare Cremonini all belong to the city's modern musical map. Guccini's Via Paolo Fabbri 43 points towards the Cirenaica district, while the Roxy Bar on Via Rizzoli became famous through Vasco Rossi's music. Bologna also pioneered Italian free radio: Radio Bologna per l'accesso pubblico began broadcasting at 11:00 on 23 November 1974 from a trailer near Osservanza Hill, and later stations included Radio Bologna Notizie, Radio Bologna 101, Radio Alice and Punto Radio. The early stations mixed music with open public discussion and local news.

Musical extensions outside Bologna

Budrio is the birthplace of the ocarina, the ceramic wind instrument invented by Giuseppe Donati in 1853. The Ocarina Museum follows its manufacture and repertoire, and the town hosts a biennial festival. Pieve di Cento adds a tradition of string-instrument making: the 14th-century Porta Ferrara and the former slaughterhouse now house the Centopievese String Instruments School and Music Museum, continuing workshops that have operated there since the 18th century.

Museums and collections

The museum directory groups Bologna's collections into art, archaeology, history, identity and science. The general directory states that city museums were free and directs visitors to the IAT offices for hours, tickets and reservations. The individual entries below preserve the thematic list, map squares and addresses, including closures noted in the catalogue; selected venue cards elsewhere on this page retain more detailed admission and timetable information.

Useful official directories are the Bologna tourist information portal, the provincial tourism portal and the provincial museum and culture guide.

Art museums and collections

Art museums
Museum or collectionAddressMap reference and status
Pinacoteca NazionaleVia Belle Arti 56C-5
Museo MorandiPalazzo d'Accursio, Piazza Maggiore 6D-3
Collezioni Comunali d'ArtePalazzo d'Accursio, Piazza Maggiore 6D-3
Museo Civico MedievalePalazzo Ghisilardi-Fava, Via Manzoni 4C-3
Museo Davia BargelliniPalazzo Davia-Bargellini, Strada Maggiore 44D-5
MAMbo - Museo d'Arte Moderna di BolognaVia Don Minzoni 14A/B-2
University Museum, S.M.A. - Sistema Museale d'Ateneo Alma Mater StudiorumPalazzo Poggi, Via Zamboni 33C-5
Museo Storico della TappezzeriaVilla Spada, Via di Casaglia 3M-9
Museo Internazionale e Biblioteca della MusicaPalazzo Aldini Sanguinetti, Strada Maggiore 34D-5
Raccolta LercaroGalleria d'Arte Moderna at the Istituto Veritatis Splendor, Via Riva di Reno 57C-3
Museo della Sanità e dell'Assistenza di BolognaChiesa di Santa Maria della Vita, Via Clavature 8D-4
Museo Missionario d'Arte Cinese and Museo dell'OsservanzaVia dell'Osservanza 88M-9/10
Museo Tattile di Pittura Antica e ModernaIstituto Cavazza, Via Castiglione 71F-5
Collezione Opera Pia dei Poveri VergognosiVia Marsala 7C-4
Collezione d'Arte UnicreditPalazzo Magnani, Via Zamboni 20C-5
Quadreria ZambeccariPalazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Via Castiglione 7D-4
Museo della Cattedrale di San PietroCattedrale di San Pietro, Via Indipendenza 9C-4; closed for restoration in the catalogue
Museo di San PetronioBasilica di San Petronio, Piazza MaggioreD-4
Museo di Santo StefanoChiesa di Santo Stefano, Via Santo Stefano 24D-5
Museo di San DomenicoChiesa di San Domenico, Piazza San Domenico 13E-4
Museo Corpus Domini or Chiesa della SantaCorpus Domini, Via Tagliapietre 19E-3
Museo di San Giovanni in MonteChiesa di San Giovanni in Monte, Piazza di San Giovanni in Monte 3E-5; temporarily closed in the catalogue
Museo della Beata Vergine di San LucaPiazza di Porta Saragozza 2/aE-1

History museums

History museums
Museum or collectionAddressMap reference and status
Museo Civico MedievalePalazzo Ghisilardi-Fava, Via Manzoni 4C-3
Musei Universitari, S.M.A. - Sistema Museale d'Ateneo Alma Mater StudiorumPalazzo Poggi, Via Zamboni 33C-5
Museo del Risorgimento and Museo di Casa CarducciCasa Carducci, Piazza Carducci 5E-6
Museo del Grigioverde, Museo Memoriale della LibertàVia Giuseppe Dozza 24N-12
Museo del Soldatino Mario MassacesiVilla Mazzacorati, Via Toscana 19N-11
Museo EbraicoVia Valdonica 1/5C-4/5
Museo Missionario d'Arte Cinese and Museo dell'OsservanzaVia dell'Osservanza 88M-9/10
Museo della ResistenzaEx Convento di San Mattia, Via Sant'Isaia 20D-2
Museo per la Memoria di UsticaEx Magazzino ATC, Via di Saliceto 5L-10
Museo della Beata Vergine di San LucaPiazza di Porta Saragozza 2/aE-1

Archaeology museums

Archaeology museum
MuseumAddressMap reference
Museo Civico ArcheologicoVia dell'Archiginnasio 2D-4

Science museums and collections

Science museums
Museum or collectionAddressMap reference
University Museum, S.M.A. - Sistema Museale d'Ateneo Alma Mater StudiorumPalazzo Poggi, Via Zamboni 33C-5
Orto BotanicoS.M.A. University of Bologna, Via Irnerio 42B-6
Museo del Patrimonio IndustrialeEx Fornace Galotti, Via della Beverara 123H-10
Museo della Comunicazione Mille voci... mille suoniHistory of radio, gramophones and mechanical musical instruments from 1760-1960; Via Col di Lana 7/nL-9; identified as UNESCO heritage in the catalogue
Museo dell'Istituto Nazionale di ApicolturaVia Saliceto 80H-10/11
Museo Civico Bibliografico MusicalePiazza Rossini 2C-5

Identity museums and civic collections

Identity museums and collections
Museum or collectionAddressMap reference and status
Museo Davia BargelliniPalazzo Davia-Bargellini, Strada Maggiore 44D-5
Museo Storico della TappezzeriaVilla Spada, Via di Casaglia 3M-9
Museo del Patrimonio IndustrialeEx Fornace Galotti, Via della Beverara 123H-10
Museo DucatiVia Cavalieri Ducati 3L-8
Museo EbraicoVia Valdonica 1/5C-4/5
Museo della Comunicazione Mille voci... mille suoniHistory of radio, gramophones and mechanical musical instruments from 1760-1960; Via Col di Lana 7/nL-9; identified as UNESCO heritage in the catalogue
Museo dell'Assistenza InfermieristicaVia di Barbiano 1/10N-10; temporarily closed in the catalogue
Collezione Storica ATCVia Bigari 1/aL-10; temporarily closed in the catalogue
Museo dell'Istituto Nazionale di ApicolturaVia Saliceto 80H-10/11
Urban Center di BolognaSala Borsa, Piazza Nettuno 3D-3

Museum highlights and practical details

Pinacoteca Nazionale

🕒 Listed hours: 8:30-19:30 Tue-Sun September-June; 8:30-14:00 Tue-Wed and 13:45-19:30 Thu-Sun in July-August🎟 Listed admission: €6 full, €3 reduced; free with Card Musei Metropolitani and Bologna Welcome Card €40

The National Gallery occupies the same complex as the Accademia di Belle Arti and presents thirty rooms of painting from the 14th to the 18th century. Its local sequence begins with Vitale da Bologna's San Giorgio and the Dragon and the Mezzaratta frescoes, then moves through Francesco del Cossa, Lorenzo Costa, Francesco Francia, the Carracci, Guido Reni, Guercino, Elisabetta Sirani, Giuseppe Maria Crespi and the Gandolfi brothers. The collection also holds Giotto's signed Madonna on the Throne with Saints, Raphael's Ecstasy of Saint Cecilia, Parmigianino's Madonna and Child with Saints, and works by Tintoretto.

Tip: The later gallery rooms are especially useful for following Bologna's artistic identity: the Carracci academy's naturalism, Reni's classicism and the local Baroque school form a clear progression.

Official site →

Museo Civico Medievale

🕒 Listed hours: 10:00-18:30 Tue-Sun🎟 Listed admission: €5 full, €3 reduced; free with Card Musei Metropolitani and Bologna Welcome Card

The museum opened in Palazzo Ghisilardi-Fava in 1985. Its first rooms form a cabinet of curiosities from the collections of Ferdinando Cospi, Luigi Ferdinando Marsili and Pelagio Palagi. The medieval rooms include the funerary arches of university teachers, fragments of the Arca of Giovanni da Legnano by Pier Paolo dalle Masegne, an aquamanile in the form of a mounted warrior, monumental crosses and the copper-and-gold statue of Boniface VIII. Later rooms show the Giambologna model of Neptune, the Bentivoglio objects, illuminated manuscripts, arms and medieval ivories.

Official site →

Palazzo Pepoli - Museum of the History of Bologna

🕒 Listed hours: 10:00-19:00 Tue-Sun🎟 Listed admission: €10 full, €8 reduced; free with Card Musei Metropolitani and Bologna Welcome Card

Palazzo Pepoli Vecchio belonged to the same powerful family from the medieval period to the early 20th century. The museum uses a multimedia and sensory installation designed around the palace's layers, including the glass-and-steel Torre del Tempo, to tell Bologna's story from the Etruscans to the present. The historic family, the towered city and the development of the communal centre all meet here.

Official site →

Quadreria Zambeccari

🕒 Listed hours: 8:30-19:30 Tue-Sun September-June; consult the official site for July-August🎟 Listed cumulative admission with the Pinacoteca: €6 full, €3 reduced; exhibition periods listed at €7 full and €3.50 reduced; free with Card Musei Metropolitani

Part of the Zambeccari collection is displayed in Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande. The rooms themselves contain decoration by Donato Creti and Giuseppe Maria Crespi, while the collection adds roughly one hundred works from the Emilian school, including paintings by Ludovico Carracci, Guercino and Francesco Albani.

Official site →

Museo Davia Bargellini

🕒 Listed hours: 9:00-13:00 Tue-Fri, 10:00-18:30 Sat-Sun🎟 Listed as free

Commissioned as a palace in 1638, the Davia Bargellini feels like an inhabited 18th-century Bolognese apartment rather than a conventional museum. Its collection combines paintings by Bolognese artists, applied arts, Vitale da Bologna's Madonna dei Denti, Angelo Gabriello Piò's polychrome David, an 18th-century gala carriage, Nativity figures, wax portraits, a miniature Emilia apartment and a small theatre with Venetian puppets. The building itself contributes telamons by Gabriele Brunelli, a staircase by Alfonso Torreggiani and stucco by Giuseppe Barelli.

Official site →

Museo del Risorgimento and Casa Carducci

🕒 Listed hours: 9:00-13:00 Tue-Sun🎟 Listed cumulative admission: €5 full, €3 reduced; free with Card Musei Metropolitani and Bologna Welcome Card

The museum in Piazza Carducci follows Bologna's Risorgimento from the French Revolution to the First World War. Objects associated with Gioacchino Murat, the 1797 National Guard uniforms, Ugo Bassi, Mazzini and Garibaldi show the local story within the national one. Upstairs, Casa Carducci preserves the poet's home, library, study objects, Nobel Prize and the room clock stopped at the time of his death. The garden can be visited by asking the museum.

Official site →

Giorgio Morandi's house

🕒 Listed visits: 14:00-16:00 Fri-Sat and 11:00-13:00 Sun October-May; 17:00-19:00 Fri-Sat and 11:00-13:00 Sun June-September🎟 Listed as free, by reservation submitted by 13:00 on the Wednesday before the visit

Morandi moved to the house on Via Fondazza with his mother and three sisters. The rooms preserve family portraits, early watercolours, the artist's library and objects connected to his relationship with cinema and art. His studio-bedroom is reconstructed behind glass from photographs taken after his death, with the bottles, clothes, clock and grain measure that also appeared in his still lifes.

Official site →

Museo della Resistenza

🕒 Listed hours: 15:30-18:30 Mon-Fri and 10:00-13:00 Sat September-June; reduced summer and holiday schedule🎟 Listed as free

In the former Convento di San Mattia, this museum uses photographs, filmed testimony and panels to explain anti-fascism and the Resistance in Bologna. The number of surviving objects is small, but the installation focuses on the values and emotions of the period as well as its chronology.

Official site →

Museo per la Memoria di Ustica

🕒 Listed hours: 9:00-13:00 Thu-Fri and 10:00-18:30 Sat-Sun🎟 Listed as free

The former ATC warehouse houses the wreckage of the DC-9 that left Bologna for Palermo on 27 June 1980 and fell into the sea, killing all 81 people aboard. Christian Boltanski's installation surrounds it with 81 speaking black mirrors and 81 bare bulbs, while recovered objects remain hidden in nine black cases. It is a place of memory rather than a conventional museum and belongs in any account of Bologna's modern civic history.

Official site →

Museo Storico del Tessuto e della Tappezzeria

🕒 Listed hours: 9:00-13:00 Fri, 10:00-18:30 Sat-Sun🎟 Listed admission: €5 full, €3 reduced; free with Card Musei Metropolitani and Bologna Welcome Card

Villa Spada houses the 2,500-piece collection assembled by Vittorio Zironi over four decades. Italian and eastern textiles, skins, looms, accessories and clothing explain the history of upholstery and textile work. Highlights include a 14th-century silk fragment in lampas, Genoa and Zoagli velvet, 64 designs by Mariano Fortuny y Madrazo, Coptic textile fragments, Bolognese damasks, Japanese and Persian fabrics, an 18th-century Ottoman caftan and a 1380 loom for passementerie. The Villa Spada park combines Italian and English garden traditions and opens views towards the centre.

Official site →

Museo Tattile di Pittura Antica e Moderna

🕒 Listed visits by appointment🎟 Listed as free by appointment at [email protected]

The Cavazza collection turns the history of the Institute for the Blind into a tactile and sound-led museum. Visitors can touch objects and equipment used by blind people and follow an audio guide through the space. It adds an accessibility and design dimension to Bologna's museum landscape.

Official site →

University museums and the Orto Botanico

🕒 Museo di Palazzo Poggi listed hours: 10:00-16:00 Tue-Fri and 10:00-18:00 Sat-Sun. Orto Botanico listed hours: 9:00-15:00 October-March and 10:00-18:00 April-September.🎟 Palazzo Poggi listed admission: €5 full, €3 reduced, free with Card Musei Metropolitani. Torre della Specola €5, by reservation. European Museum of Students free. Orto Botanico free.

The S.M.A. university system gathers collections linked to Ulisse Aldrovandi, Ferdinando Cospi, Luigi Ferdinando Marsili and Ercole Lelli's anatomical waxes at Palazzo Poggi. The Torre della Specola adds an astronomical museum and the European Museum of Students traces student life through the centuries. Nearby, the Orto Botanico was founded in 1568 by Aldrovandi and occupies two hectares with historic plants, natural habitats, tropical and succulent greenhouses and a greenhouse for insectivorous species.

Tip: The listed addresses are Via Zamboni 33 for Palazzo Poggi and Via Irnerio 42 for the Orto Botanico. The university museum portal is [S.M.A.](https://sma.unibo.it).

Official site →

Additional university collections

🕒 Listed hours vary by collection and reservation🎟 The listed collections include free entry, paid guided visits and reservation-only access

The university quarter also includes the Museo Geologico Giovanni Capellini at Via Zamboni 63, with a 26-metre Diplodocus model; the Museo di Anatomia Comparata at Via Selmi 3, with guided visits by reservation; the Biblioteca Universitaria at Via Zamboni 35, whose Aula Magna can be visited by booking a week ahead; and the Museum of the History of Radio, Gramophones and Mechanical Musical Instruments at Via Col di Lana 7/n. These collections extend the city's identity from medieval law and music to geology, anatomy and communications.

Official site →

Museo Pelagalli and the history of communications

🕒 Listed visits by arrangement; individual visitors join a scheduled group🎟 Admission and appointment details are listed through the museum

The private Museo Pelagalli at Via Col di Lana 7 follows the history of radio, phonography, 18th- and 19th-century mechanical instruments, television and Italian song. Around 800 objects include rare books, more than four hundred films, an early electronic black-and-white television with reflected image from 1935 and wooden crank telephones from the late 19th century. It provides a fuller, more object-rich counterpart to the communications entry in the historic museum catalogue.

Official site →

Bologna's art context

The city's art story is not confined to one gallery. Medieval devotional sculpture, university monuments, Bentivoglio patronage, the Carracci school, 17th-century classicism, modern painting and civic memory appear together in churches, palaces, museums and even the cemetery. These connections make the walking routes useful for understanding how Bologna's visual culture changed over time.

The Pinacoteca and the Bolognese school

  • Primitive and early local art: Vitale da Bologna's San Giorgio and the Dragon, the frescoes removed from Sant'Apollonia in Mezzaratta and Giotto's signed Madonna on the Throne with Saints.
  • Renaissance Bologna: Francesco del Cossa, Lorenzo Costa and Francesco Francia, with Raphael's Ecstasy of Saint Cecilia and works connected with the Bentivoglio court.
  • Mannerism: Federico Barocci, Bartolomeo Passerotti, Giorgio Vasari, Prospero Fontana and Bartolomeo Cesi.
  • The Carracci: Ludovico, Agostino and Annibale founded the Accademia degli Incamminati in the 1580s, promoting a return to observed nature over the intellectual formulas of Mannerism. Ludovico's religious paintings dominate the dedicated room, with Guercino's youthful Dressing of San Guglielmo as a closing highlight.
  • Guido Reni: the 17th-century master of classical ideals and intense Counter-Reformation imagery, represented by works such as The Piety of the Beggars and The Massacre of the Innocents.
  • The Baroque and 18th century: later Carracci followers, Guercino, Alessandro Tiarini, Elisabetta Sirani, Carlo Cignani, Giuseppe Maria Crespi and the Gandolfi brothers complete the local sequence.

Amico Aspertini

Amico Aspertini, born in Bologna around 1474-1475, was one of the city's most independent Renaissance painters. He worked with Francia and Costa on the Santa Cecilia frescoes in 1506 after returning from Rome, later painted in Lucca and decorated the Rocca Isolani at Minerbio. His work appears in the Pinacoteca, San Petronio, San Martino, San Giacomo and the Certosa. His restless style, speed and technical confidence make him a useful thread through several routes.

The Carracci, Fava and Bentivoglio connections

The Carracci family's influence reaches beyond the Pinacoteca. At Palazzo Fava, the Carracci decorated the first floor with the cycle of Jason and Medea, while Ludovico and his pupils created the Aeneas cycle. In San Giacomo, Lorenzo Costa and Francia worked for the Bentivoglio Chapel and Oratorio di Santa Cecilia. At Palazzo d'Accursio, civic collections include works by Carracci followers and later Bolognese painters. The same patronage network explains why the Classic Tour repeatedly moves between family chapels, palaces and public museums.

Civic memory, science and modern art

Bologna's later art is equally connected to its public life. Luigi Galvani's statue in Piazza Galvani recalls the experiments that established the study of bioelectricity. The Museo del Risorgimento and Ugo Bassi's story connect art and political memory. MAMbo and the Raccolta Lercaro carry the story into modern and contemporary sculpture and painting, while the Ustica Memorial uses Christian Boltanski's installation to make absence and memory visible. The Certosa completes the arc with sculpture and architecture from Neoclassicism to 20th-century rationalism.

Tourist information and reservations

Bologna IAT and UIT information points
OfficeAddressContact
Palazzo del PodestàPiazza Maggiore 1/e, 40124 Bologna; accessible from Piazza del Nettuno under the Voltone del PodestàTel. +39 051 239660, 251947, 6472113; fax +39 051 6472253; [email protected]; http://iat.comune.bologna.it
Bologna Centrale FSPiazza Medaglie d'Oro 1, 40121 BolognaTourist information point
Guglielmo Marconi AirportArrivals Hall, Via Triumvirato 84, 40132 BolognaTourist information point

Bologna Welcome is listed at Piazza Maggiore 1/e on the ground floor of Palazzo del Podestà, with telephone +39 051 658 31 11and the official site bolognawelcome.com. Listed hours are 9:00-19:00 Monday-Saturday and 10:00-17:00 Sunday. The office provides maps, advice and organised tour information; it is also the place to ask about the Aposa underground route and seasonal access to towers or terraces.

Begin in Piazza Maggiore, then choose one focused walk: the Classic Tour for a full day of monuments, the Towers for medieval Bologna, the Porticos for the city's public architecture, the Water Tour for hidden industry, or the Musical Tour for the living tradition that still gives Bologna its voice.