From the vast Gothic San Zanipolo to the Bellini masterpiece in San Zaccaria: the great churches of Venice's largest sestiere.
Last updated August 14, 2026
In a nutshell: San Zanipolo (Santi Giovanni e Paolo) is Castello's unrivalled church - 25 doges' tombs and Bellini's St Vincent Ferrer - with San Zaccaria a close second for its Bellini altarpiece. Rounding out the circuit: the hospital's hidden Scuola Grande di San Marco museum, the lively Campo Santa Maria Formosa, San Francesco della Vigna and Vivaldi's baptism church of San Giovanni in Bragora. Back to the Castello overview or the Riva.
San Zaccaria ranks among the city's oldest churches: in the 9th century, when Venice was still a scatter of wooden houses, before St. Mark's Basilica was ever built, a stone church with its monastery occupied this spot. The present structure is largely 15th-century, and its tall early-Renaissance facade is credited to Mauro Codussi - the architect of the great Clock Tower of the Piazza - and assistants. In a glass case above the right-hand second altar rest the remains believed to be those of Zechariah, John the Baptist's father - the relic that made the church a destination for pilgrims. Across the nave, on the second altar to the left, hangs Giovanni Bellini's Madonna and Child with Saints, a sacra conversazione completed in 1505 when the painter was 75: life-size saints with a quietly melancholy air stand in a painted niche on the church wall, a violinist angel plays at the Virgin's feet, and a cool white light wraps the whole scene. In the Chapel of Sant'Atanasio, Tintoretto's canvas of the Baptist's birth sets the scene: the aged Zechariah watches the heavens open as the miracle of his son's arrival descends on earth. Look for the five gold thrones, once occupied by doges at Easter - each year the reigning doge processed from the Piazza to this church to thank the nuns for the land the square stands on. Inside, the San Tarasio chapel centres on a spiky gilded altarpiece by Antonio Vivarini of the 15th century - its predella of seven small scenes possibly the work of Paolo Veneziano - while glass panels in the floor let you look down at the 12th-century mosaic pavement of the original church. Below, the crypt, the foundations of a 10th-century church, sits so close to the water table that it often floods, the bases of its columns standing in water.
Entry to the church is free; entry to the crypt and the choir chapel is €3, and a €1 coin lights up Bellini's altarpiece. Open Monday to Saturday 10:00–12:00 and 16:00–18:00, Sunday 16:00–18:00 only. Services are held every day at 18:30, with additional Sunday services at 10:00 and noon.
The church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo rivals the Frari in size, majesty and the artistic treasures it holds, and is a classic example of Gothic architecture, built in brick with a grand facade rising towards the sky. You enter through a 15th-century portal whose columns were brought from Torcello, and you are struck by the width and height of the three naves - more than 100 metres long and 32 high. The inner facade is occupied by three funeral monuments to the Doges Mocenigo; in the right nave, at the second altar, hangs the Polyptych of St Vincent Ferrer, an early work by Giovanni Bellini, while the ceiling of the chapel of St Dominic holds the Glory of St Dominic by G.B. Piazzetta. In the transept, lit by wonderful stained-glass windows, admire the Almsgiving of St Anthony by Lorenzo Lotto and works by Bartolomeo Vivarini. In the presbytery, behind the imposing high altar attributed to Baldassarre Longhena, stand further monuments to various doges, among them Leonardo Loredan and Andrea Vendramin; the Cappella del Rosario, not always open, hides important canvases by Veronese.
Beside the church, the facade of the Scuola Grande di San Marco - today the city hospital - is impossible to miss: a clear example of Renaissance architecture, embellished with the trompe-l'oeil perspectives of the four panels beside the doors, the work of Pietro and Tullio Lombardo. Just around the corner, the small jewel of Santa Maria dei Miracoli, by the same architects, glows with fantastic polychrome marbles and hides a splendid barrel vault of painted wooden coffers, while near Campo Santa Maria Formosa the Pinacoteca Querini Stampalia holds a conspicuous collection of art from the 15th to the 17th century - go in even just to sit in its café and admire the restorations Carlo Scarpa made to the palace. Handy to know: the hospital of Santi Giovanni e Paolo (+39 041 529 4111) lies roughly ten minutes' walk from the Rialto or from San Marco, behind the big church on the Fondamenta dei Mendicanti, towards Fondamente Nove; reach it on vaporetto 4.1 out of San Zaccaria, or on 5.2 from the railway station or Piazzale Roma, getting off at Ospedale.
The name San Zanipolo is simply how Venetians pronounce Santi Giovanni e Paolo - and the two saints in question are not the biblical John and Paul but a duo of 4th-century martyrs executed in Rome while its final pagan emperor reigned. This brick Gothic basilica, built for the Dominicans in the same decades the Franciscans were raising the Frari on the far side of town, stands as Castello's unrivalled church. Its cavernous interior holds the tombs of 25 doges, and those extravagant monuments together chart the evolution of Venetian sculpture: at the back, Pietro Lombardo's layered memorial to Pietro Mocenigo, its central sarcophagus supported by figures embodying the three ages of humanity, gives way along the aisles to works by many hands. Bellini - who lies buried in this church - painted the vivid St Vincent Ferrer Altarpiece here in 1464; the ancient Byzantine icon of the Madonna della Pace drew crowds during both world wars; and a set of 15th-century windows produced on Murano from Bartolomeo Vivarini's cartoons is among the rarest of its kind. A mirror thoughtfully positioned in the Cappella del Rosario lets you admire Veronese's ceiling frescoes without craning upward; in the nave, Guido Reni's San Giuseppe (1640) captures the affectionate gaze exchanged between Joseph and the infant Christ. A fire in 1867 - widely blamed on anti-Catholic arsonists - consumed canvases by Titian, Tintoretto and Bellini, while Napoleon had earlier made off with Veronese's Feast at the House of Levi, today displayed in the Gallerie dell'Accademia.
Within the hospital complex beside San Zanipolo hides one of the city's more astonishing sights: the museum of the Scuola Grande di San Marco (€8, reduced €5; the upstairs galleries shut on Sundays and Mondays). Its centrepiece is a gilded coffered ceiling and a suite of enormous religious canvases, the oddest of which depicts the Crucifixion surrounded by Ottoman soldiers, nuzzling rabbits and a grumpy lion. Cases in the middle of the room hold a notable array of historic medical instruments and books, with almost no English captions. Domenico Tintoretto painted the chapel at the far end, including a scene of St Mark dreaming that his body would one day rest in Venice - a legend the Venetians found very convenient; Bellini took up the same theme in the Sala dell'Albergo, but the versions hanging there today are copies, since Napoleon carried off the originals to the Gallerie dell'Accademia. The hospital complex also takes in the 17th-century church of San Lazzaro dei Mendicanti, entered from the canal and free of charge: a marbled interior hung with Veronese's Crucifixion and Tintoretto's St Ursula, and a marble relief of a naval battle across the rear wall that rewards one last glance on the way out. It is open only after 1pm, Monday to Saturday.
Of Castello's large churches, San Francesco della Vigna is the least visited, reached through a scruffy quarter of disused gas tanks and crumbling palazzi. The harmony of its facade restores order: it is the only frontage Andrea Palladio ever saw completed in his lifetime, watched over by a tall thin campanile that might be mistaken for the twin of St Mark's. Two rival images of the Madonna and Child compete within, both lit by €0.50 coins: Bellini's radiant altarpiece in the Cappella Santa, just off the cloister to the left of the sanctuary, and the quirkier painting by Antonio da Negroponte by the door, in which angels swim through the sky and lagoon birds parade beneath the Virgin's ornate Gothic throne. The church's name honours a vineyard that still produces in the friary garden, though that garden is closed; the cloisters can be visited. Every mid-June the campo throws the Festa di Sant'Antonio (asfvenezia.it), a week of Mass, procession, rustic food and live bands.
Castello's liveliest square is the broad expanse of Campo Santa Maria Formosa, where souvenir stalls and fruit-and-vegetable sellers share the paving with bars spilling out of the surrounding palaces; a pair of decorated wellheads anchor the middle of the campo, and at weekends charity tables sell good-quality secondhand knick-knacks. The church that gives the square its name was remodelled by Mauro Codussi in 1492. Its playful nickname - 'Shapely St Mary' - is said to trace back to St Magnus, Bishop of Oderzo, who reportedly saw the Madonna appear to him as a full-figured woman. Austrian bombs hit the building during WWI, yet the paintings of Bartolomeo Vivarini, Palma il Giovane and Palma il Vecchio were rescued along with a very old Byzantine image, the Virgin of Consolation, the very icon that sailed with Commander Sebastiano Venier into the Battle of Lepanto in 1571. Curiously, the church presents two different faces: a baroque facade toward the square and a Renaissance front toward the canal, the latter crowned with a statue of Admiral Vincenzo Cappello rather than sacred imagery; keep an eye out too for the grotesque carved face set above the doorway beneath the clock tower. Entry costs €3.50 (€2.50 children, free with the Chorus Pass), and on Sundays only worshippers are admitted.
The brick Gothic church of San Giovanni Battista in Bragora stands on the square where Vivaldi was born and baptised. Above the altar hangs Cima da Conegliano's remarkably pretty Baptism of Christ (1492), its multicoloured cherubs drifting over craggy peaks that call the Dolomites to mind, while Bartolomeo Vivarini's dramatic triptych of the Madonna with Saints John the Baptist and Andrew dates from 1478. The building also preserves one of Venice's purloined holy men: St John the Almsgiver, a 7th-century Patriarch of Alexandria famed for his generosity to the poor, whose body was brought here from Constantinople in 1249 and displayed on a side altar. Orthodox pilgrims still revere him, leaving beeswax candles and small icons around his shrine. Tickets are €3.50 (€2.50 children, free with the Chorus Pass).